Allow accessing location-based services
When asked by your smartphone operating system, allow the tado° app to access your location data. If you have not allowed tado° access by accident, you can change this in the smartphone operating system settings at any time.
- How do I enable the Location-Based Services on Android 4.4 or higher?
- How do I enable the Location-Based Services in iOS?
- How do I enable the Location-Based Services in Windows 10?
Keep Wi-Fi activated
The Wi-Fi of your smartphone has to be activated even when you are currently not connected to a Wi-Fi network. The names (SSIDs) of surrounding networks are used to enhance the location detection performance. Using Wi-Fi’s for determining location is more power efficient than GPS.
If you switch off the Wi-Fi on your smartphone, the battery consumption of your phone may even increase because the energy-intensive GPS-Module has to be activated more often.
- Why is it so important to keep the smartphone Wi-Fi activated even when I am away from home?
- How can I make sure that my Android phone is set up to use the most power-efficient method to determine my position?
Allow “Background App Refresh” and “Background Data”, as tado° requires to send location data in the background to make sure your home starts heating before you arrive.
- How do I enable background data in the Android settings?
- How do I enable background app refresh in the iOS Settings?
- How do I enable background operation in the Windows 10 Settings?
Keep mobile data activated
Mobile internet has to be available and activated. If mobile data is not available the tado° App cannot transmit location data. Mobile Data might be disabled for the tado° App in the smartphone operating system settings:
Please note that a mobile data restriction or limit may also be imposed by your mobile network operator in the mobile network depending on your data plan or potential data roaming restrictions.
Leave the App open in Background
To ensure the best performance of the Geofencing Skill, we recommend keeping the app open in the background.
Many smartphone operating systems have a setting to activate a special battery saving feature. These functions adversely affect the performance of location detection and may not be enabled if you wish to use Geofencing on tado°.
- How can I remove the battery optimization for the tado° App in Android (Android 6 or higher)?
- How can I remove the battery optimization for the tado° App in Android 7 (Nougat) or Android 8 (Oreo) on Samsung Devices?
- How can I remove the battery optimization for the tado° App in Android 5 (Lollipop) and 6 (Marshmallow) on Samsung Devices?
- How can I remove the battery optimization for the tado° App in Android 7 (Nougat) and Android 8 (Oreo) on Huawei Devices?
- How can I remove the battery optimization for the tado° App in Android 5 (Lollipop) and 6 (Marshmallow) on Huawei devices?
Limit the use of Battery Saving Apps
For the same reasons, we do not recommend the use of special battery saving apps ("Battery Saver") such as the popular Du Battery Saver.
Enable high accuracy for your location
We also recommend enabling “high accuracy” in your location settings in order to get the most accurate experience.